Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Couch to 20+k in 6 months

On January first my life changed for the better. My son Lincoln was born, and my priorities changed completely. I no longer cared about what I was eating or if I was exercising... I just wanted to make sure that my son was well taken care for.

Fast forward to February, I had gained some weight. No big deal, I still hadn't stepped on the scale. I did however on March 8th. 230 lbs. I'm 5'11" and it doesn't take a doctor to tell me that that isn't healthy.

My diet consisted of junk food, microwave dishes and whatever quick and easy concoction I could eat in between work and taking care of my son. Obviously something had to change.

I immediately started calorie counting, and the scale really liked that. The lbs started to come off pretty quick. In mid April I went out for my first run in over a year. I stopped running as a result of Achilles tendonitis... I still had it but it wasn't as bad. My first run was 5k in about 31 minutes... since then I've been running 2-3 times a week and have watched my weight drop dramatically in the process.
I'm fully committed to living a healthier lifestyle. I want to be able to live as long as I can and watch my kid grow up. The way I was earlier in the year was a path to self destruction... I've fixed that and am now have all my priorities in order.

I'm creating this blog to chronicle my fitness, health and running. I'll be doing my best to update it on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment